I have been compensated by Glucerna for this post; however, I am sharing my own thoughts. All opinions are my own. Talk with your health care provider about a diabetes management plan that’s right for you.#GlucernaHungerSmart #CollectiveBias
Getting healthy has been my top priority this year, to this day I’ve been continuing to make changes in my diet. One of them was to look for better, healthier snack options during the day. Now more than ever I feel the need to care for myself as last year after my mother’s retinal detachment surgery she was diagnosed with diabetes. Something that not only runs in our family, beginning with my grandmother and possibly even before her; but also in many Hispanic families. Attending nutrition classes educated my mother and me that we can still enjoy our family’s traditional recipes by just switching a few ingredients to ones that are healthier and with greater nutritional benefit.
One thing that my mother expressed to have a hard time with, and honestly most of us, is snacking. It’s so easy to just grab any sweet treat and think just a little won’t hurt us. I would love to share with you these 5 healthy snacks that will help you manage hunger and keep you on track to your health goal, not only that but these snacks are super easy and way more affordable than other sweet snacks.
1. My favorite snack has to be jicama. It’s the perfect snack item- a little sweet with some crunch, add some freshly squeezed lime juice and a bit of chili powder and it’s the perfect snack for those hot summer days.
2. Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes are perfect for those of us who can’t avoid our sweet tooth. Chocolate or vanilla, which will you choose? Whichever you choose, it’s definitely a delicious way to stick to your weight loss plan, with an excellent source of 25 vitamins and minerals you’ll be getting the best nutritional benefits with the Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shake as they each contain 15 grams of protein which will help in managing hunger, CARBSTEADY®, which includes slowly digestible carbohydrates designed to help minimize blood sugar spikes. Speaking of sugar, these shakes contain only 6 grams of sugar! As always, use under medical supervision.
3. A handful of mixed nuts and dried fruit like raisins make for a great quick snack. I like to pack some in snack bags and take them along wherever I go, that way I’m ready when a craving kicks in.
4. Hummus and Veggies! Ever since I discovered hummus I fell in love and cannot let it go. When I’m in the mood for something more filling I snack on this. Just pack a few baby carrots and chopped celery, a bit of hummus and I’m ready for my day. This makes a great snack for parties or movie dates when you want to snack but don’t want to get carried away.
5. There’s nothing easier than Fruit Skewers- cut up a bit of your favorite fruit, add them onto a toothpick and you got yourself a sweet snack on-the-go.
The Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes are specially designed for people with diabetes, like my mom. What we love is that not only do they have 50% more protein than the leading weight loss shakes, but they also have 66% less sugar, making them a very smart choice to add them in your day to help manage hunger. You can find the Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes at your nearest Walmart. Stock up and save, print this coupon when you buy any 2 large packs of Glucerna you get $3 off!
What are your favorite snacks to manage hunger?